Sunday, October 2, 2011

These Boots were made for Paintin' !

My current work in progress aka WIP



     It's been a nice productive week. It seems like I am in 'burrowing down for the winter mode', which is just fine by me. I happen to enjoy winter! :)
Fall is here and I have pulled the crock pot out of the basement so that I can have dinner done when I walk in the door which allows me 2 hours of extra time painting at my studio!
Knowing that one thing, cooking dinner, is crossed off my list, I have more free time in which to dedicate to painting so that's a WIN WIN!

   This week at the studio has been fun! I finished the poppy painting and have sketched out a few more projects on canvases I have made in the last few weeks. I gave the poppy it's first coat of sealer yesterday and OMG did it POP with vibrant color and details!!!
   I really enjoy making canvases because it marks the beginning of a painting flurry and it invigorates my creative potential.
In the last few weeks I have made I think 6-7 canvases of all sizes. I made one smallish one, which is what you see on my easel above. I made this particular size for the cowboy boot painting I had planned. 
   I started the cowboy boots late last Saturday. Once I had all the preliminary sketch-work done on a couple paintings, I decided to start a fun one, The Boots.
I took the original photograph of these cowboy boots while I was at the Elkhart County 4-H fair attending a concert this summer. While sitting in the track seating close to the stage, I saw this cute little girl, whom had obviously just finished showing her horse(she was still wearing her number tag). What I noticed about her first were these AWESOME cowboy boots she was wearing! They were SO cute!! I would wear those in a heartbeat! So being an avid photographer (mainly for art references but I have sold 1 print so I guess that now sort of exempts me from amateur/hobby status), I zoomed in on the boots thinking it would make a GREAT painting and I was right!!
   I judge a painting by how much I will enjoy creating it. It has to be a subject I like and the colors have to pop, be bright and vivid. Composition has to be engaging and the subject has to be interesting. It has to be something that is important to me. This is one of those paintings!
I grew up on a farm, I have been around and loves horses, I was involved in 4-H and I occasionally wear cowboy boots! The 4H fair in Elkhart county is a BIG deal!!! Its the 2nd largest county fair in the nation, at least that's what I have heard.
   I am enjoying painting this fun little painting. Its coming together nicely and rapidly. My intent, for this one, is to place it up on Etsy and see if I can sell something. I so rarely sell anything, I believe it is time I became a working artist. My rationale is I need to start saving for next years vacations.  I have another trip to Barcelona planned so time to start banking up!
   I also had a nice visit with an old high school friend, whom I have not seen in years, and her Mother at the studio. We chatted over coffee and home made pumpkin bread. They just wanted to stop by to see where I do all my creating. It was a great time and I am quite sure it won't be the last. Its so nice to reconnect with old friends!  The Girls Pact (I'll explain that another time) has gained new members!! :D

   David and Silvia Naylor (my friends from Barcelona) are coming to visit in 6 weeks! I am going to put them up at the studio so I have been preparing for that.
I have a futon in the den which will hold two people however it will be cramped with little Rita sleeping with them so I needed to buy something portable, that I can put away and pull at in a moments notice.
I purchased an inflatable, 5 in 1 sofa! The 5 in 1 advert is a stretch but it's pretty cool nonetheless!! 
It flips out into a  queen sized bed, recliner bed, sofa....so it's perfect for guests. I have it inflated and sitting in the main studio so that it completely stretches out beforehand.
I have sat/laid on it and it is remarkably comfortable! I am sure they will be quite happy at the studio for their evenings to sleep.  I am so excited to see them all and have fun things planned!
I sure hope they enjoy their stay in the heart of the Midwest where things are a bit slower and more laid back than what they are accustomed to.

   Today looks like it is going to be a beautiful fall day! I am hoping Mark, my husband, will want to take our annual, fall color tour ride in the Jeep. It will be the perfect day for it and we always bring our cameras. Two of those outings resulted in 2 paintings for me...The Boats and The Cows were photo's I took while we were out driving around. Its a good time and we get excited when we see things that are 'photo worthy'. I might get more excited than Mark because I see potential paintings but he loves taking photo's as well.

Well, I suppose it's time to get moving along and begin this day by doing more than drinking coffee and pecking away at a keyboard... 
Hope everyone has a fantastic week! See you  all again next Sunday!

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment