Sunday, September 25, 2011

Poppies, Poppies, Poppies!!!!


  This makes the third poppy I have painted. I am sure it won't be my last since I really LOVE painting them because they make me feel happy!
There is something about bright vibrant colors...they just make you feel good when you see them! I should know since I honestly felt like absolute garbage yesterday when I completed this beautiful gem...
Someone at work brought sickness into our little office....I suspect it was that man we call our boss!:)
Fortunately, this is the first time in roughly a year that I have have had a cold. I do have allergies but can manage those with Benedryl however that wasn't cutting this! I will say one thing about working in healthcare, your immunity tends to toughen up. My outlook on my health is this: as long as I can walk, talk and still hold a paintbrush, I am golden!

   I spent all day painting yesterday, from 9:30am until 5:00pm. It was a great day despite physically feeling like crap! That's the magical healing powers of paint!
    I just love heading to my studio in the morning. I can roll out of bed, throw on some clothes, do my chores of feeding the critters, then jump in the car and be there in 3 minutes.
My routine, once there, is this: put the coffee on, turn the lights on, put on some music, stare at my painting to size up what needs to be done, fix my coffee and get down to business!
For me, it's a perfect day. I am calm, at peace, happy in my solitude and can unwind completely from my other life...
yesterday, after completing the poppy, I sketched out 2 more canvases and have a third ready to sketch. I even started ghosting in the foundation for another fun painting...a pair of fun turquoise cowboy boots. No need to ask why I am painting cowboy boots...the answer will always be, 'because I want to! :)

   I certainly hope the Devlin's enjoy their Poppy. I know where it will be hung in their house, in their sun room.
About 6 months or so back, Jason Devlin, a fellow art friend, had seen an image of a commissioned poppy I was painting. He said he wanted me to paint one for him but not in the same composition. I happened to have a canvas that I had started and set aside because I wanted a slightly different composition at that time. So when he asked if I would be interested in an art swap, trade something sculpted for a one of a kind painting, I said yes! This is that painting! In return, he is custom sculpting an absinthe spoon for me. All I know is that I chose the theme of art deco but he added an additional theme which will make it EVEN MORE AWESOME!!!  I told him not to show it to me because I want it to be like Christmas when I see it!! I am so excited to see it!!
So our swap is near now and the excitement is palpable...I certainly hope they like their painting...I know I surely do!

   You see, that's the beauty of painting vibrant colors and beautiful subjects...it can turn an otherwise sour mood/day into something special...yesterday was proof of that. Despite feeling poorly, I still was happy and quite productive...that's the power of vibrant paint! It just makes you feel GOOD!

Have a GREAT week! See you, all 'two' of my followers, next week!

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment