Sunday, October 30, 2011

Getting ready...YEA TOAST!

     I have temporarily put away my paints, airbrushes, paint brushes, canvases, boards...and all my art clutter in preparation for my friends, David, Silvia and little Rita Naylor,  arriving from Barcelona!!They will be staying in my little cozy studio/apartment while they are here.
The thing about cleaning my studio is, now that I have the clutter put away and the space more organized and clean, I want to PAINT!!!! I am sure we'll find a speck of time to do so...

   There will be little hands in the studio that week so I had to childproof the place a bit. 
Adorable little Rita is 3years old and I am sure she would be MOST willing to help paint on some of my paintings that are laying about unfinished....in order to curtail that, I have stowed them or given them temporary residency on the walls.
I am not worried as the studio mainly will only be a place for them to sleep and have some privacy for the later evenings when they are not with us at our home or out and about. I have a busy schedule planned for us! :)
I am hoping that David and I will have a chance to paint together and I think we might manage to do that one evening. All we have to do is hook up our brushes, put on some music and fire up the silent compressor! there are plenty of things we can work on...ideas are always endless so there will be no wane in creativity while we are all together!

   I stocked all my VHS movies for my old TV and the VCR in the studio den/guest room. There is a certain amount of nostalgia that comes with firing up the VCR. I tend to gravitate towards items people no longer want or need and I give them new life! I am a thrift-shop-secondhand junkie and it serves me quite well! You should see our collection of vinyl albums! I am happy to report that we, my husband and I, are old enough that we purchased almost all of them when they we in the records stores during the 70's and 80's! :D
  My entire studio is furnished mostly with secondhand vintage items that are still fully functional or refurbished by myself. I have done this my whole life. I like making old new again. I think it's just cool to love older items. There's a certain amount of soul left in vintage things. It makes me wonder what their previous lives were like before they came into my hands.... hard to say however they have all found a great loving home with me.
  Speaking of great finds...I scored a 1950's Toastmaster toaster at Goodwill for $1.80!!!  Someone had given it a new cord which was pretty short, about 1 foot in length, so I did what love I to do and dismantled it, cleaned it all up inside and out and then I attached a new cord. My husband gave her the maiden voyage a few moments ago and she performed beautifully!!! Check her out below...


The butter dish that you see a reflection of was my Grandma Bell's butter dish. It was among things no one wanted when my Grandparents passed away. I have used it ever since and it is one of my most cherished pieces. I love things like this. I collect vintage glassware and I use these things. I especially like old jars, crock bowls and depression glass. I use these items because that's what they were meant for and you can't beat the function and utility of older wares.

I feel much the same way about the tools I paint with. I keep all my old brushes until they have no hair left. I find uses for them no matter what state they are in. i use things until their life is exhausted.
I am the same way with my airbrushes. I buy good used items and refurbish them and tune them to my liking. The thing about the airbrush is, most of the working parts are replaceable. The parts that are not warranted are the ones that break down first so to me, it's a no brainer to buy used. As long as the body is sound and functions well, I'll continue to tinker and modify my tools.
My late father, Jim Hall, taught me to tinker and fix things. My Dad was a mechanical and electrical engineer. I think, no...I KNOW,  I have done him proud!
I remember when I bought my first house and realized there was only one two functioning outlets in the garage, I decided that needed to be ratified. I wanted to build a workbench with a grinder/polisher and the ability to use my power tools so I rewired the garage and built the bench! Dad was so proud!
I am sure he is up in heaven just beaming because I am a tinkerer just like he always was! :)

Well, better get a move on and head downstairs to clean and tidy the basement. Might go for a bike ride with the husband if the weather holds out....
Have a great week all four of you followers! :D

Kath

No comments:

Post a Comment